Thursday, December 11, 2008

Of Mice and Women

Today, while trying to ready my yard for the new driveway and stairs, I stepped into the shed to get a shovel. It was still dawn and the shed was dark, and very full. I took two steps in and SQUEAK! I jumped out of the shed and slammed the door. While panting and pondering how mice eat people, I decided to stop being a coward and open the door again. I pressed my ear to the door to listen. Nothing. Good, I thought, he's gone. I've scared him away. So I throw open the door and take a step in SQUEAK! This time I froze. I took another step, franticly scanning the ground around me. SQUEAK! Now, realization hits me across the face, and I start laughing. My shoes have air pockets in them and I must have sprung a leak! Everytime I stepped with my right foot I squeak. (this is the part I peer out of the shed, bright red, to make sure the neighboors didn't see me). I also had an epifany today. I came to the realization that I am more like my grandfather then I will admitt. It hit me like a ton of bricks while I was digging up my sprinkler system at 9:30am in 22 degree weather with the ground frozen. Mark had told me the night before that the construction crew would do it if I asked. But here I stood, digging up the sprinklers because I was determined they couldn't do it right. Back of the bus. I had always wondered why grandpa wouldn't accept help at times. Now I live it. Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment