Monday, April 11, 2011

Allergy Free Friday

I know it's not Friday, I'm jumping the gun in case this Friday is crazy! Happy first sunny day in a LONG time!

So, I am cooking allergy free. Anyone who has done this knows it's similar to cooking in a foreign country, the ingredients are different, the results are different. So, I have decided, because of the numerous allergies in my extended family to do Allergy Free Friday's. Every Friday (or every other if I'm a little crazy that week) I will try and post a recipe I have tried that week that is virtually allergy free. I know, everyone has different allergies, but I will mainly focus on gluten/dairy free, most will be nut free as well. Here it goes:

Gluten/Dairy Free Popovers.. (similar to german pancakes) by the King Arthur Flour company

This recipe was very very very easy, and would go well with some goat/sheep cheese or eggs or just plain powdered sugar or honey

4 large eggs
3 TBS melted butter
1 1/4 cups milk lukewarm (soy, almond, I used oat milk)
1 cup multipurpose flour (you can buy the king arthur brand or use another brand, like Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 tsp xantham gum (essential! It's expensive, but a little goes a long way, you can get a pound on amazon for 12.00! Best deal I've found yet!n I got mine at a nutrition store 8 oz for 14.00!)
1/2 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan (or popover pan if you have one)

Whisk together the wet and the dry separately, then gently add the dry, sift if you can. It's a lot like making gravy, you don't want lumps.

Pour into greased cups filling 2/3 full.

Bake 25 minutes, reduce oven to 350 and bake for 15 more minutes or until deep brown. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes then remove from pan and serve immediately.

Even my husband liked these!


No comments:

Post a Comment