Sunday, May 9, 2010

Today is the day...

Happy Mothers Day!  Yes, I know these are random pictures.

Do you ever sit down on this day and look at your life, wondering what you could have done better, what could have gone wrong, or has gone wrong, and what you can change for the future?  Who is the little girl with the attitude in the kitchen?

Congrats!  You're a woman!  Don't be hard on yourself though.  The dishes may not always be done when they're supposed to.  Your children may go to the store with peanut butter on one cheek.  You may leave the house in a tizzy to go to the doctors office, only to realize your not wearing makeup.  Mothers are required to keep everything running and I believe we deserve an MBA for this.  If you can run a house a corporation is a snap!  There is a point to my ramblings though.  And here it is.



Slow down

I can't tell you how many times my husband has said that.  And it's good advice.  Make sure that as you drive to dance, drive to school, drive to the store, make everything perfect for dinner, perfect for school projects, perfect for proms, and dances, and dates you don't put yourself off.  Perfect is a state of mind really.  While we strive for perfection we most often neglect ourselves.  While your busy making everything perfect remember to give yourself time to breath, take a step back, and understand that it's OK.  Okay if it all doesn't go as planned, okay if your child doesn't compete in all sports.  Okay if you can't get it all done.  



The memory you leave your children can be one of a worn out woman who falls asleep during dinner. Or a mother who is there to nurture, talk, and make life slow down when her children are out of control. Who helps calm the situation and teaches her children that it's okay to slow down and enjoy life.  To think outside the box.....haha....


My mother is amazing.  Through out the chaos that we created as children.  And boy, we could create some chaos!  She survived.  She took care of us, and herself.  I have my testimony to prove it.  She has always taught me to take care of myself.  I love her for that.  So now while I'm franticly trying to make everything perfect.  I can calm down and remember the advice she gave me when I was a new mother.  "If you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of anyone else."  Perfect.


Love you mom,

ER

1 comment:

  1. I love you Erin! You are an amazing mother and you have the most increadible children to prove it! You are right, and I hope that you always follow your own advice, and repeate it to me when Alan and I have kids. You're also right about our Mother. She is also amazing, balancing all that she did and teaching us all of the things that she did at the same time. I am luck to have you both in my life!

    ReplyDelete